I was given opportunity to review a new a new children’s Bible stories book while it is on a blog tour for David C. Cook.
Here is a video trailer featuring Kelly Pulley’s rhyming Treasury of Bible Stories:
And here are my thoughts and impressions on the Treasury of Bible Stories by Kelly Pulley
Definitely a book for 4-8 year olds… if you have a child ready to snuggle up and read or listen to a story, you can start right in. I have a wiggly 7 year old daughter, she is just learning to read and I asked her to help review the book with me. She read the first page on her own – outloud to me – and then she said “This is good, but I think preschoolers and kindergartners who aren’t reading yet would like it better.” I think it also was the timing – if I had her attention and read it as a bed time story or as a children’s sermon story where I already have her as a captive audience then maybe she would have been more receptive.
I have to say I was surprised by how few stories are covered in this book – the author seems to have chosen quality over quantity, which is not a bad thing – making it easier to read through the book with your children. The stories are more like long poems that are very rhythmic – think Dr. Suess style and fun to read outloud. When I first received the book I had hoped to use it with our upcoming Sunday School lessons on the Jesus feeding the 5000 with a few fish and loaves shared by a young child. Sadly, the story was not in the book. I have tried to figure out if there was a pattern to the stories chosen, and I’m not sure there is – perhaps these are some of the author’s favorites or stories that were designed to follow a set of Sunday school lessons.
So who do I recommend pick up this book??
- If you or your child like rhyming – this book is for you.
- If you are looking for a new Bible stories book to share with your young child – give this one a try.
- If you are wanting to read rhythmic stories to children in a nursery or preschool setting – this is a great book to engage little ears.
- If you’re wanting to add a book to your church or Sunday school’s children’s ministry library – I’d recommend you consider this for your shelf.
WIN A COPY of TREASURY OF BIBLE STORIES by Kelly Pulley!!
If you’d like a copy of this book, I have an opportunity to give away one free Treasury of Bible Stories book to one special random drawing winner.
How to Enter (now through Sept 20th):
- Leave your name and reason why you’d like a copy of this book in the comments below for one entry.
- Share this post via Facebook, Twittter, Google+, and even pin to Pinterest and then leave a comment telling me where you’ve shared.
I’ll draw a name at 10:00 a.m on Saturday, Sept. 20th, 2014 – get your entries in and if you think of someone else who might love this book, be sure to share this post with them so they can enter as well.
In the meantime, if you’d like to purchase the book you can find it at:
BTW – the only compensation I receive for this post is a copy of the book to use for review and promise of a giveaway book to my readers upon review.
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to comment to enter the drawing!!